Poison treatment drug products.

Poisons treatment with O.T.C drug products
Accidental swallowing of toxic materials can occur at many levels and many circumstances, many people may be present at the time  but without the appropriate medical knowledge, they become useless.

Toxins: are materials that if delivered to the body (orally or by injection) causes serious damages, may be with or without significant suffering pain and may lead to death.

Toxic materials are many and they are classified into many groups;-
The most popular group is the Pyroxenes which are bacterial toxins causes’ food and drink poisoning.
Organophosphorous compounds:- which are used as insecticides and pesticides. They are related to the notorious Hitler’s nerve gas and mostly used n suicidal attempts.
Arsenic and cyanide compound are extremely toxic.
Many medications if it’s taken by accident.

So what you should do if you came across a poisoned subject? And you want to help?
At first check the vital signs like respiration and pulse, second you have secure them and ask for professional help.
The third step which we will talk about deeply is if:-
1- You know the type of poison 100% no doubt.
2- The patent is conscious and has the ability to go through the first aid process with you.
3- You read the coming carefully and be sure to use the right procedure for the right case otherwise Do Not do any thing.
Ipecac syrup
As long as the ingested substance remains in the GI tract, it continues to be absorbed into the blood stream and will be distributed to all body tissues. Emptying the stomach contents as soon as possible, within 60 to 90 minutes at the latest, reduces the amount of toxin available for absorption. Gastric lavage and vomiting are two mechanisms to remove contents from the stomach.
There is considerable debate as to the overall effectiveness of ipecac within the medical community. The FDA held a meeting of its advisory committee in 2003 to discuss continuing its general recommendation for using ipecac syrup in poisoning situations. Discussions also considered continuing the OTC availability of ipecac because of the potential for abuse by individuals who have eating disorders like bulimia. The FDA has not issued any report or recommendations based on this meeting, and its original approval of ipecac syrup continues.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers issued guidelines in 2005 for using ipecac syrup in treating poisoning victims outside hospital settings. Included among those recommendations were that universal recommendations for ipecac use should be avoided except under the following conditions:
(1) There are no contraindications to its use;
(2) The risk of injury to the individual from the toxin is substantially greater than the risk associated with ipecac syrup use;
(3) The individual would not be able to get emergency treatment within an hour;
(4) The ipecac syrup could be administered within 90 minutes of ingestion of the toxin; and
(5) No alternative treatment is available for the individual.

The Association was not in favor of promoting households to maintain a supply of ipecac syrup. They did not take any position regarding keeping ipecac syrup as an OTC or restricting its use.

Drug category and indications for use
Ipecac syrup is intended for emergency use to cause vomiting of swallowed poisons.
Monograph ingredients
Ipecac syrup is approved by the FDA and restricted for sale to 1 ounce containers for OTC use.
Mode of action
Ipecac syrup contains the alkaloids cephaeline and emetine, which cause local irritation of the stomach mucosa and stimulate the vomiting center in the brain via the chemoreceptor zone. Emetine has the potential to cause cardiac and renal toxicity in excess dose or long-term use.
Warnings and precautions
Ipecac syrup or other emetics should never be used in semiconscious or unconscious individuals, nor should they be used in individuals who are uncooperative or who have any blockage of their airway. Vomiting should not be induced in individuals who have ingested caustic or corrosive substance or products containing petroleum distillates, such as kerosene, gasoline, paint thinner, cleaning fluid, furniture polish, or turpentine. Caustics and corrosives, include alkali (lye) and strong acids, produce damage to the mucosa of the mouth, pharynx, and esophagus during swallowing that will be exacerbated during vomiting. Vomiting may result in aspiration of the vomitus into the lungs and may result in lipid pneumonia if petroleum products are aspirated. Milk should not be taken with ipecac syrup.
Recommended dose
Before administering ipecac syrup, attempts should be made to contact a poison control center, emergency medical facility, or health professional. Infants under 6 months of age should not be given ipecac syrup unless directed by a health professional. Infants aged 6 months to 1 year of age may be given 5mL of ipecac syrup mixed with 4 to 8 ounces (120–240mL) of water or clear liquid; children between age 1 and 12 years of age may be given 15mL of ipecac syrup mixed with 8 to 16 ounces (240–480mL) of water or clear liquid; children over 12 years of age and adults may be given 30mL with 8 to 16 ounces (240–480mL) of water or clear liquid. If individuals do not vomit within 20 minutes, a second dose of ipecac syrup may be administered.

Individuals should not be given activated charcoal until vomiting occurs.
Individual should be kept active and moving if possible.

Activated charcoal
Drug category and indications for use
Activated charcoal is used to adsorb swallowed poisons in emergency situations.
Mode of action
Activated charcoal particles possess a very large surface area. Toxins present in the GI tract will adhere to its surface, preventing or reducing their absorption into the blood stream. The drug and adsorbed toxin are eliminated via the feces. Not all toxins are absorbed by activated charcoal.
Warnings and precautions
Activated charcoal should not be given to an individual until vomiting has occurred unless directed by a health professional; it should not be administered to individuals who are not fully conscious or individuals with an intestinal blockage. It should not be used if the individual has ingested turpentine; corrosives, such as alkali (lye); strong acids; petroleum distillates, such as kerosene or gasoline; paint thinner; cleaning fluid; or furniture polish unless directed by a health professional. Individuals should be informed that bowel movements will be black in color.

Recommended dose
Attempts should be made to contact a poison control center, emergency medical facility or health professional before administering activated charcoal.
As soon after the toxin is ingested as possible or as directed by a health professional, 20 to 30 g of powdered activated charcoal is given in a minimum of 8 ounces (230 mL) of water. Activated charcoal remains as a suspension and should be shaken well before use. Some products are flavored suspensions that improve palatability, which may promote greater acceptance by individuals, especially children, to drink the product. Ipecac syrup and activated charcoal should not be used at the same time.

Some common sense actions can prevent accidental ingestion of drugs and household substances by young children, who are the individuals involved most frequently in accidental poisonings: all medications and household cleaning supplies should be stored out of reach of children (tall or locked cabinets); children’s medications, including vitamins, should not be promoted as being like or tasting like candy; the physician’s telephone should be posted in a convenient place for emergency use; the local poison control center’s telephone number should be posted in the same place, as should the number of the national poison control number, 1–800–222–1222; the container of the product should be in your hand when making telephone calls so that the product’s exact name and ingredients can be readily identified; the product should be taken with you to the emergency room once you have found out which hospitalin your area is best able to handle your specific problem.


Post a Comment

Medical Information For Dummies powered by blogger.com
Declaration All information on this site:- 1-has been simplified and summarized for a great extent, so it can be understood by public ordinary people. 2-Is not from the academic point of view, but it’s modified to reach easily to ordinary audience. 3- Doesn’t replace medical practitioners, people should always seek out a medical opinion if they feel it is needed.